Friday, September 3, 2010

Motor Storm Apocalypse Pre-play


PAX 2010 is in full swing and the games are being shown in abundance. Sony's offering tons of titles in its first party line up. Motor Storm, the fast paced apocalyptic racer Sony now totes as their reason to play in 3D, was one of the first games ROQ got its hands on. At first glance, the racer looks as though its mimicking a game like EA's Burnout, but in a matter of seconds, it becomes clear that Motor Storm is standing in a league of its own.

Once I got my hands on the controller, I sped off the starting line, into a world crumbling around me. Several computer controlled drivers slammed into my vehicle, the weight of my car shifted as I scraped the guard rail. Seeing my competition pass me by, I pressed on the turbo, gaining a much needed boost of speed. After catching up, I was shocked to find my vehicle on fire, followed by an explosion, and my falling behind once again. The realization struck and I was reminded that I was playing a Motor Storm game. Motor Storm has always had a realistic way of limiting a players boost by overheating and eventually blowing the engine and entire car.



The race seemed typical fair until the world around me starts taring itself apart. Gigantic set species such as buildings, crumbled as I tried to avoid getting hit by the shower of shattered glass. Pedestrians rushed across the roads, sometimes unexpectedly, and ended up rolling across my hood. Destroyed, flaming cars sat in the middle of the road, creating obstacles which I struck several times.



After a few jumps and a couple of buses flew at me I came to a fallen building and began to drive up the side. Racing to the top of the building, I looked forward to another huge jump, and before I got there the demo ended. Suddenly my sad 12th place position appeared on the screen and I breathed a sigh of relief. Relief not because the game was in any sense bad, but that the unlikely racing environment engrossed me in the action more than I could have expected. Motor Storm Apocalypse is one to watch, and if your even slightly a fan of the franchise, you'll definitely not want to pass this one up.


Title: Motor Storm Apocalypse
Platforms: Playstation 3
Release Date: Q2 2011
ESRB: Rating Pending

No comments:

Post a Comment